I changed the title of this project to be Parts instead of Days. Ideally this project can be done in a weekend. I had planned on stretching it out over 7 days of actually working on it. Meaning even if it took me a month to get it all done it would only take 7 days worth of spending time on it. That kind of fell through. A lack of motivation, holidays, and being busy working on other projects made this one get a bit lost in the mix. I have done more work on it although I did not document it much with photos and I did this over a coarse of a few days. Here is what has been done since the last post…
- I ditched the instructions because my measurements didn’t turn out exact and using my current frame as a layout would work much better at this point. I laid the frame on top of another piece of plywood and traced out the bottom. Since It is longer than the plywood I had to do this in two sections.
- I then cut out the bottom pieces and attached them to the ribs with some screws.
- I then measured the back end for the transom, cut two pieces, glued them together, then added some frame pieces and attached them to the back of the boat.
- I flipped it upside down, added three runners to the bottom then fiberglass to all of the seams.
- I added a layer of fiberglass resign (not fiberglass AND resign but just the resign) to the entire bottom of the boat. I made sure some spots were extra thick and filled in any gaps.
- I flipped it back over and started filling in all the gaps of the seams on the inside with just resign.
I made the transom thicker in case I wanted to add a small engine or trolling motor to the boat. This would give it more support. The next steps will be to sand the seams on the inside so I can fiberglass them also. Then I will do the same resign coating to the inside as I did the outside.