Being a huge Whovian I decided I had to do something Doctor Who related on the 3D printer sometime soon. So I quickly threw this together. It isn’t fantastic and honestly I call it a prototype because I realized how many flaws I had in it. Usually I am more about making things that are functional or serve some type of purpose so I am quite indifferent about this one. It makes a good desk ornament or knick knack. I don’t think I am going to do much with this one but the next one I make (after fixing the flaws) I am going to do with ABS filament and an acetone vapor bath. Then if it still looks too plain I may just paint it. It would look good on my desk at work even though I don’t think many of my coworkers really know what Doctor Who is all about or at least no where near obsessed with it as I am.
The Doctors were all made from silhouette images I found online. I bounced between Photoshop, Illustrator, and
Tinkercad to get them the way I wanted. This took a good amount of time especially for certain ones with more detail to them. After I put them on the base and added the logo and text, I felt like it was a little too plain. So I added the TARDIS and K9 to the sides. I was fairly happy with it at that point. But I was so tired by the time I got done with it I didn’t make sure all of the Doctors were the same thickness. A couple are super flimsy and barely connected to the base.
The piece required supports and this was the first time I had to use them. Overall I think they worked ok. I may have missed one or two spots. I didn’t clean up the supports completely yet so you can see those in the image. I don’t really plan to since it needs to be remade anyway.